Notable Awards and Highlights in the Arts:
1st place, Photo Runway, The Actors Model and Talent Convention in 2008, Orlando, Florida.
Gold Medalist, the Amabile Choir, competing in the 2004 Choir Olympics in Bremen, Germany.
Sang for Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, at her Golden Jubilee in 2002, Toronto, Canada.
Grade 8 Piano, Royal Conservatory of Music.
Graduate of the New York Conservatory of Dramatic Arts.
- Lord of the Rings (I definitely feel part Elf)
- A Knight's Tale ("It's called a lance, helloooo!")
- The Holiday (for some good old British rom com)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Nancy Drew (I read all 63 books of the series, in order)
- Sweet Potatoes (prepared any and every way)
Can't live without?
- Watching sunsets. Standing directly in the sun and feeling its warmth, gives me instant recharge and grounding.
- Bed early and wake up by 6am. You will be exceedingly more productive, rested, can lead to lucid dream states, reduces inflammation, lowers anxiety, and allows you to get all the essentials done first thing in the morning (like your workout class, meditation) and have plenty of leftover hours to be creative and discover to pursue your big purpose.
A recommended must-do?
- Give love and kindness, and watch that those qualities are exactly what you receive back from others and life itself.
My name is Melinda Michael. I am an on-camera actress, voice over artist, motion capture performer, and international model. At age 4, I began performing on stage in plays, musicals and dance recitals, ranging over the years from Shakespearean theatre (including Ortensia in Twelfth Night) to leading a production (playing Alice in Alice in Wonderland), and even being cast in an Italian comedy (again an Ortensia, in Mistress of the Inn or La Locandiera).
Melinda's love for film was her biggest motivation to take on a professional career in the film and television industry, which has since developed into exploring her further passions for voicing children's animation (after all, Arthur was her daily dose of entertainment growing up) and bringing action-filled characters to life in the fantastical worlds of video games.
- TRAVELING: My jet setting adventures having included exploring Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Belgium, England, Wales, Ireland, India, Egypt, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Mexico, and the Caribbean. I actually lived in Italy for 3 summers to study Italian, and Footwear Design at a fashion school in Florence.
- REIKI: I am an Energy Healer. Certified Reiki Master. I am a Clairsentient, which means that I feel and can move energy both in myself, and others. Outside of schooling, my life long learning continues, particularly in the realm of Spirituality.
- KIRTAN: Kirtan is musical mantra meditation, absorbing the potency of sound vibration amongst a group setting for cleansing the heart and an elevation of personal and collective consciousness. I sing in the ancient language of Sanskrit, while playing the harmonium, a beautifully resonate instrument from India. I currently lead kirtan events in Los Angeles at 'Hot 8 Yoga' studio and 'Mantra House'. I am also the former President of the Non Profit Organization, "Bhakti Yoga Vancouver." Anyone around me knows I never stop singing. I receive such joy sharing my greatest joy of music. Kirtan truly helped heal me and that drives my regular involvement in humanitarian work, like running my non-profit and volunteering at a rehab centre leading kirtans for teens.
- KICK BOXING: I am always wanting to challenge myself by working out, HARD.
I have been training in Muay Thai & Boxing semi professionally since 2012, with Sweden's national coach, and currently with the incredible Peter Lee Thomas (you might know this extraordinary man as Halle Berry's trainer). I have done all my own stunt work and stage combat on set. I am also the Toronto Affiliate for the American company, On Camera Combatives.
- YOGA BARRE INSTRUCTOR: I teach an intense fitness class called Yoga Barre. It is a combination of hot yoga (108 degrees) with weights and sculpt training. High intensity conditioning. Love it. Thank you to Hot 8 Yoga in Los Angeles, California, for my teacher training, and the leadership platform to combine my longing for Spirituality, body confidence and power, and holistic wellness.
- BIKING: Riding my bicycle = instant freedom. Highly recommend as a great way to get to know (and support!) your city's mom and pop shops that you wouldn't normally stop by or take a peak through the window to see unless passing by foot or bike.
- TEAM SPORTS: Growing up, I was on my school's skipping team (touring to other schools on behalf of the Heart and Stroke Foundation to teach kids how to skip and encourage a healthy, active lifestyle), as well as our basketball, volleyball, track and field, and cross country teams. During University, I played on the soccer team (Awarded 'Rookie of the Year', not bad given I had never played soccer prior to trying out!) and balanced class work with my commitment to being a member of the Silhouettes Dance Company, marking 16 years of dance training.
- NUTRITION: Health is my priority. I am Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy and Nut Free.
I do not drink alcohol or coffee at all. I am absolutely an advocate for health and wellness, and through first hand experience, understand deeply the connection between the mind and body. What we ingest in our bodies, both our food and our thoughts, create and reflect our internal and external environment. I am constantly challenging myself mentally and phsyically, including doing 30 days of fasting from food, and most recently, 11 days of silence at a Vipassana. (No phone, no reading, no talking; simply meditating starting at 4:30am every day, implementing the technique that Buddha used to become enlightened). Happy to share the knowledge I've accumulated over healing my own candida and SIBO. Feel free to reach out if you are struggling with gut health and food allergies!
- LANGUAGES: I have always had an affinity for learning languages. I studied Italian, Spanish, French, Old English and while on my travels, taught myself some Greek over in Greece, and Hindi in India. Traveling lots and my fascination for languages, has lead me develop a keen skill for picking up accents and dialects.
Also, totally geeking out, but I would love to learn Elvish (or maybe land a role where I can play an Elf!).
- HISTORY: Ever since childhood, I've been naturally drawn to education about many periods of history, my favorite being the Medieval, Victorian, and Elizabethan eras, the Renaissance, and Ancient Rome and Greece. This is a major influence for why I pursued acting. I wanted to live in these worlds more... and I can't get enough of those period costumes!
- FILM SOUND SCORES: I'm that person blasting "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Avatar" while driving in my car.
- MODELING: One of my greatest strengths with modeling is my excellent body and muscle awareness, as many photographers have remarked how I make postural adjustments instinctively. Due to my myriad of exotic backgrounds, I am quite the chameleon with transforming my looks between shoots.
- And most profoundly, ACTING.
I am truly excited and grateful to be expanding myself as an actor (and as a unique individual) within a creative and wonderfully talented community. It gives me so much joy to work every day towards manifesting my biggest dreams and career aspirations, to leave a legacy and make my positive impact in the world. I have what it takes: the ambition, passion, presence, talent, motivation, determination, confidence, and compassionate personality to succeed in this industry. I strive to give my all to you, always.